Practical Customer Success Management:
A best practice framework for rapid generation of customer success
Customer success management as a profession is still in its infancy, and is growing and maturing rapidly. As it does so it will begin to develop its own language, best practices, tools and templates to help CSMs with being as effective and productive as possible.
This book sets out to further this process by providing just such best practices and tools in the form of the Practical CSM Framework. This framework takes readers through the entire end-to-end experience of engaging with and working with customers to help them realize their successes and in so doing help the CSM’s own company to attain its own successes through maximum renewals and expand opportunities.
The purpose of the book and the step by step processes it contains together with its free, downloadable tools and templates, is to enable CSMs of all experience levels to perform their role to a consistently high quality and in an effective and productive way.
What Readers are Saying
About the Author
Rick Adams is an independent author, trainer and consultant, specializing in helping technology companies deliver measurable business value for their customers. Adams has over 25 years’ experience of working in the IT industry, including owning his own startup software-as-a-service business which he sold in 2012 to focus on writing, training and consulting. Having delivering training and consultancy to many hundreds of businesses and thousands of technology professionals in over 30 countries across four continents, Adams is now based in the rural west coast of Ireland where he lives with his two dogs Zeus and Terri.
Adams’ recent work includes the development and delivery of a global certification program on customer success management for Cisco Systems Inc. His book titled ‘Practical Customer Success Management: A best practice framework for managers and professionals’ was recently published by Routledge and is available from Amazon and all other good book retailers. His current interests includes helping individuals and companies develop best practices in customer success management and in business outcomes focused selling.
Customer success management is all about outcomes – outcomes for the customer and outcomes for the CSM’s own company. This book is also all about outcomes – outcomes for the CSM and for managers who set the customer success strategy, provide resources and lead the team. The outcomes that CSMs can expect from reading this book include a deeper understanding of the following:
- The nature of customer success management and its role within a modern business
- What skills, knowledge and experience the CSM needs in order to be effective in their role
- The types of research, analysis, planning and action-taking activities that CSMs get involved in
- The need for a customer success strategy and what should be in that strategy
- The Practical CSM Framework, its benefits to the CSM and how CSMs can engage with it to maximize the quality and efficiency of their work
- What the CSM should do to prepare themselves for engaging with a new customer initiative
- Approaches to onboarding and the role of the CSM in ensuring that onboarding takes place and is relevant to each customer’s needs
- How to engage with customer stakeholders and how to create meaningful stakeholder management plans and utilize those plans to develop high quality relationships
- How to understand the customer’s business vision and strategy and how its business capabilities relate to that vision and strategy
- How to help the customer to understand which users will be impacted by change and what those users’ needs are
- How to help the customer to build an adoption roadmap that includes a communication strategy, a training plan and a user support package for all impacted users
- The role of the CSM in helping customers to track and measure activity and to analyze and report on these measurements to show the value being realized
- The role of the CSM in helping customers to identify and overcome adoption barriers and to deal with risks
- How the CSM can develop their own knowledge, skills and experience over time to fully realize their potential as a highly competent and successful customer success professional
For senior leaders, there are two additional outcomes from reading this book:
Firstly they will have a complete, end-to-end, best practice framework for conducting customer success management-related activities, which they can either use as it is or adapt and customize to meet their own organization’s specific customer success-related requirements. Applying this framework of best practices across the team will enable consistency of both quality and productivity from all team members, ensuring your team delivers success every time.
Secondly they will gain an understanding from the book on how to create and develop a customer success team, how that team can integrate and work with colleagues from other departments, what resources that team will need to be able to fulfil their roles, how to set targets and activities for individual team members, how to measure team and individual CSM performance, and finally how to improve that team’s performance over time.
Sign up for FREE membership to PracticalCSM.com
- FREE: Chapter One of my book “Practical Customer Success Management” – yours to keep
- FREE: 22 page detailed white paper on the Practical CSM Framework – yours to keep
- Monthly newsletter containing the very latest CS-related articles and news, sent directly to your inbox
- An extra 10% off the price of our Certified CSM Professional training program (members only discount)